[Not] For Technophobes

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

October 24, 2010

Thomas the Tank Engine

Filed under: Uncategorized — E. A. @ 1:14 pm

Thomas, a steam engine from the trains of Sodor, is based on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) E2 Class. These were a class of 0-6-0T steam locomotives designed by Lawson Billinton in 1913, intended for shunting and short distance freight trains. Thomas was created by Rev. W and Christopher Awdry in 1946.

LB&SCR E2 Class

I think that Thomas’ creation was a psychological response to the astounding advances in technology that occurred during World War II. Instead of tanks and bombers, society was presented with a happy and friendly steam engine. What harm can coal and water do to the people of Europe? This non-threatening image of technology served as a solace to a country directly affected by war.

Thomas can also be seen as a figure of the technological assimilation of children after WWII. These children would now be raised in a world full of destructive technological elements and it is understandable that parents and the greater part of society would want them to grow up accustomed to the idea of this shifting and developing world.

Being a blue, red and white train, Thomas can be associated with the Allied forces of WWII, mainly France, Great Britain and the U.S.A. He is a train we can trust. He is a symbol of technology as a good element in society. He is a helpful train, so of course children would grow up with the belief that technology is here to help us live and we need and should want it in our lives. Though he is a train that predominately smiles and laughs, he rarely frowns and I believe he has cried once in his steam engine existence. Growing up on Thomas I was more willing to ride on the subway and buses. I viewed them as non-threatening modes of transportation. I knew nothing of the second Industrial Revolution. Technology was simply a part of my existence.

So what is the affect of Thomas the Tank Engine? It is not so much what his character has done for children of the mid-late twentieth century but, rather, what his creation says about the adults of that same time. Books, toys and programs designed for children also have aspects that are directed towards adults, so that they may feel secure in allowing their children to be exposed to them. A docile tank engine was fun for children but it was predominately comforting for the adult. Thomas was built for short distance travel, so he would never go too far from home. Never in real harm and always finding someone who could help him or needed his help, parents now choose to believe that their children would be safe in a constantly developing world.

8 Comments to “Thomas the Tank Engine”
  1. Priest Rasch says:

Hello there! This blog post could not be written much better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he’ll have a very good read. Thank you for sharing!

2. I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers but this paragraph is
    genuinely a pleasant piece of writing, keep it up.

3. I’ve been surfing online more than 2 hours
    today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.

It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if
    all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be
    much more useful than ever before.

4. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to
    be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your
    next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

5. After I originally commented I seem to have
    clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment.
    Is there a way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

6. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for supplying this
    information.

7. Clarita says:

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 21 spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you
    to increase traffic. I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tricks

8. Bruce says:

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend
    a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot
    of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in seconds, just type in google
    – laranitas free content source